Naked Reader Press is dedicated to bringing the best fiction and non-fiction possible to our readers. We welcome submissions from unpublished authors as well as established authors. You do not have to have an agent to submit.
What We Want
We are looking for completed manuscripts that have been polished and proofread. They must have compelling plots with believable and well-developed characters. We want you to take us on a journey of imagination like we've never been on before.
For non-fiction, we are looking for books that are well-researched and well-written.
What We Don't Want
We don't want fanfic. So please, no Jedi Knights or Federation starships crewed by Vulcans and Klingons. Also, we are currently not accepting submissions for erotica, poetry, graphic novels or children's books. In the future, this may change, so please keep checking back.
We also don't want non-fiction that simply restates what is already out there. Don't send us the trend du jour. We are looking for original ideas or works that have a fresh point of view.
Before submitting, please review our guidelines. While we won't reject something because it goes slightly over our preferred word count, a poorly formatted manuscript or one that is in a genre we don't publish may be rejected.
- Short Stories - 2,000 to 10,000 words. If your story is longer than that, please query before submitting.
- Novellas - 20,000 to 60,000 words.
- Novels - 60,000 to 120,000 words. Please query if your novel is more than 130,000 words.
Response time for submissions will run approximately three months from the close of the submission period. Check back as status updates will be posted.
Because of our relatively quick turn-around on responses, please do not simultaneously submit your work here and to other publishers.
- We currently accept all fiction genres EXCEPT erotica.
- A word of warning here, if your work crosses our "ick" threshold, it will be rejected. If sex or violence is central to the story, include it. But don't put it in just for form's sake.
- Naked Reader E-Books is currently open for submissions. We will post a notice when submissions close.
- Nuts and bolts - Fiction
- Attach the complete short story or the first three chapters of your novel to your e-mail as either a .doc or .rtf file. Email it to
- The subject line of your email must contain the following -- the type of submission, title and genre (eg., Short Story, Killing Judea, SF)
- In the body of your email, include your name and contact information, any publication credits, a statement of rights if you're submitting a previously published short story or novel, and any other information you think is pertinent to your submission.
- If you are submitting a novel, include a short (2 - 3 pages) synopsis as a separate attachment.
- If your novel is the first in a series, include as a separate attachment a 3 - 5 page description of the story arc of the series.
- Nuts and bolts - Non-Fiction
- In the subject line of your e-mail include the title of your submission and note that it is a non-fiction title
- In the body of your e-mail include the following -- your name and contact information, any publication credits, a statement of rights if you are submitting a work that has been previously published in any format, any information you think is pertinent to your qualifications to write on the subject matter of your non-fiction title.
- Attach as either a .doc or .rtf file the first three chapters of your book.
- Attach as either a .doc or .rtf file a treatment or synopsis of your book.
Please follow standard manuscript formatting:
- 1 inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12 - 14 type size
- Times New Roman, Georgia or Courier New font
- Your header should include the title, your last name and the current page number
Contract Terms: (These terms are meant as a general reference. Complete terms and language will be provided to you upon the tendering of a contract.)
- The full contract will be provided to the author for review upon Naked Reader's acceptance of a novel or short story.
- Length of contract - (Novels) 2 years with a renewal option for a 3rd year. (Short Stories) 1 year with a renewal option for a 2nd year.
- Rights - Naked Reader acquires exclusive electronic rights for the e-book for the 2 year length of the contract.
- Royalties will be 60 % of the cover price less credit card processing fees for e-books sold from our site, 50 % of the amount received from a reseller
- Royalties will be paid quarterly for royalties totaling more than $25.00 (U. S. dollars) if payment is made via Paypal. For payments made by check, royalties must total $100.00 before payment will be made. All payments will be in U. S. dollars.
- Payments will be made within two months of the end of the quarter. This is to give our retailers time to distribute payments to Naked Reader.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at submissions - at - nakedreader - dot - com (you know what to do.)